Chief Executive Officer
Starting salary circa £120,000 p.a.
Required to start at the beginning of the summer term, or earlier if possible
Washwood Heath Multi Academy Trust (our Trust) is a family of seven schools (1 all-through school, two secondary and four primary schools) serving diverse and multicultural communities in East Birmingham. We currently comprise 710 employees who work across our 7 academies, including a centralised Core Team split into 4 directorates: People, ICT, Finance and Estates and Facilities.
If successful, you would be joining us at an exciting time in our Trust’s journey and your key priorities would be:
- To provide effective strategic leadership and direction of our Trust and its academies in line with the Trust strategic plan 2021 to 2024 (and its successor strategies) and the 1-year Development Plan 2021-2022, so that our young people consistently achieve good or better outcomes.
- To ensure that our Trust’s financial viability is secure, firmly based on accurate analysis and is strategically planned.
- To be the lead education professional for academies in our Trust, ensuring an effective strategy for growing our Trust and for building educational and leadership capacity ahead of need.
- To act as a trusted and visible ambassador for our Trust, both internally with its key stakeholders, and externally, with organisations such as the DfE, Regional Schools Commissioner, BEP and the ESFA, ensuring that its values of “Collaboration, Aspiration and Respect” are embedded.
- To ensure that there is an unrelenting focus on wellbeing, professional growth and equality, diversity, and inclusion (ED&I) for our colleagues, so that the best possible education is being delivered to our young people whilst ensuring our colleagues remain happy, motivated and engaged.
- To ensure through inspirational leadership of our Trust’s core team and academy senior leaders that robust and compliant governance, risk management and safeguarding provisions are in place to ensure the effective implementation of our Trust’s strategic plans.
- To manage the reputation of our Trust, in collaboration with senior leaders so that they are the “go to” place in their localities for the best possible education and as such, are oversubscribed.
You will be responsible to our Trust Board (with Professional Growth conducted by a newly appointed and reputable external Trust Improvement Partner).
To be considered as our next CEO, you must be able to demonstrate a proven track record as a senior executive leader in a complex education, commercial or charitable setting, where you have delivered on the organisation’s vision and strategy with clarity and conviction. As you will be responsible for leading approximately 7 Headteachers and 5 core team senior leaders, you will need to demonstrate an inspirational leadership style that allows you to motivate, whilst always securing accountability for school improvement. The role is wide-ranging and all-encompassing. It can only be successfully performed through a highly collaborative approach, clear and shared goals, and effective governance and financial management, which you will oversee with the support of a wide range of senior leaders.
Why join our Trust
Our Trust is a fantastic place to work, made up of colleagues from diverse backgrounds, all having a passion for the development and well-being of our young people. We pride ourselves on a culture that embraces inclusivity, wellbeing, professional growth, and collaboration, to help our colleagues invest discretionary effort, which leads to positive pupil outcomes. We can offer you many benefits which are detailed in the candidate information pack.
The application process
Please return your completed application form to CEOrecruitment@whmat.academy
It’s important that you provide a succinct personal statement of no more than three sides of A4 with your application explaining: a) What attracts you to the post; and b) How your experience, competencies and skills align to the essential criteria in the person specification, with evidence of impact from your career track record.
Closing date for applications: Monday 11th October 2021 at 10.00 a.m.
Further information about the role, the interview process and our Trust is available in the candidate information pack which is also available on our website at www.whmat.academy
If you would like to arrange an informal chat with our Chair of the Board, Graham Parker, or a visit to our core team offices prior to applying, please contact Angela Sutheran (Company Secretary/PA) on 0121 803 2902 or via email@example.com.
Shortlisting will take place between 15th and 18th October 2021 with interviews and assessments taking place between 9th and 30th November 2021.
Washwood Heath Multi Academy Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check is required for all successful applicants.
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and the amendments to the Exceptions Order 1975, 2013 and 2020. Which means that when applying for certain jobs and activities certain spent convictions and cautions are ‘protected’, so they do not need to be disclosed to employers, and if they are disclosed, employers cannot take them into account. Further information about filtering offences can be found in the DBS filtering guide.
This post is covered by Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent spoken English is an essential requirement for this role.